Sunday, April 26, 2015

What's Up With Missionary Name Tags, Anyway?

Elder & Sister Howden (left) / Elder & Sister Chamberlain (Right)
Posted by Sister Chamberlain - I see missionaries with their name tags on all the time; at grocery stores, restaurants, shopping malls and pretty much anywhere here in Utah. I have never thought much about what it means to wear one of those name tags. That is until this past week. 

As we began our training for Public Affairs in Salt Lake City this week there was a sweet Sister Howden that was in the group. She and her husband are going to South Africa. The first day there she kept asking when she would be getting her name tag. She was very excited to have it and wear it. At first I was a bit surprised that she was so anxious to get one. I hadn't thought much about wearing a name tag as a missionary. It seems very commonplace here in Utah.

So needless to say I was a bit taken aback when Friday afternoon came and we were approaching the end of our training. We had just completed a very powerful testimony meeting with our group and Elder Larsen said he had our name tags. I found myself getting very emotional. My lack of feelings about name tags at the beginning of the week suddenly transformed and I realized putting that name tag on had become a very sacred experience; one that I don't take lightly. 

For the past four days I have been in awe at how sacred this responsibility is to be a representative for the Savior for 18 months. Each day I found my thoughts turning to the Lord in gratitude for this tremendous privilege I have to serve this mission and the many people in my life who have made this possible. Each day of my training, I was also grateful for each one of my children and the support they are giving me despite how difficult it is. And with that gratitude I committed every day to give 100 % of my time and my heart to His service.

So having a name tag felt like I had gone through this process of growth and commitment and wearing a name tag was a way of expressing my love for my Savior and the privilege I have to share with others the great news of the atonement and the love the Savior has for all of us.  It truly was an inspiring week.  I think I am ready to go!!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment