Saturday, July 18, 2015

Kam Tong 40 Years Later: Gettin' "Reminisc-y"

What does it say about your age when they make a museum out of your old missionary housing? I was privileged to live with about 7-8 other elders in the Kam Tong mansion (or castle) on Castle Road, Hong Kong, for much of 1976. We were the only residents there and had the massive place to ourselves, except on Sundays when there were two branches of the church meeting there. It was an awesome experience. 

It was here where: 1) I met Stephen R. Covey (he borrowed a tie from me and never gave it back) 2) I taught one of Chairman Mao's executioners and was able to get clearance to have him baptized. We filled the font, but he never showed up. 3) I permanently damaged my big toe, trying to move a large refrigerator down some stairs. 4) We baptized quite a few people here. 5) I had the opportunity to be a companion to Elders Rowley and Chan (Charlie Chan). Elder Charles Chan and I shared the same name, so it was fun that one of us was Chinese and the other a "Gwai-lou." It was my third area, and one of the most favorite places I have ever lived. Imagine me trippin' around in this building in my pajamas.  

Today, Laraine and I got to tour the building, now owned by the government and converted into a museum. I told Laraine, "I am not a 'reminisc-y' person, but wow was I doing some major reminiscing." Enjoy these pictures and short video (please excuse my chewing. I had just put some nuts in my mouth);


 

Kam Tong "Chapel" now a museum. Our missionary bedroom was top floor, far left. Amazing wood workmanship and gold leaf in the chapel and other areas. It was an awesome building to live in. 



Baptismal font remains, and much is said about the Church's ownership of the building throughout the various displays.

Heading upstairs to our living quarters. You can't see it well but this is some beautiful stained glass.

Dr. Sun Yat Sen


Front Courtyard. Used to play a little basketball here.

Laraine taking a breather after touring the building. It was very hot and muggy outside.

Some of the amazing workmanship on each of the balconies. 

After touring the Kam Tong, we found an incredible, old-fashioned neighborhoods in the North Point area of Hong Kong. 

Laraine wanted me to get this woman behind her as she squats--something the Chinese people used to do a lot more than they do now. 

The "Ding Ding" in North Point neighborhood

Laraine in a market section of North Point, near the ferry to Hung Hom
 

2 comments:

  1. This was our mission home! So fun to see it turned into a museum. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing building and fun memories! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete