Friday, March 11, 2016

60th Birthday for Elder Chamberlain

Okay, turning 60 is not as bad as I thought it would be. First of all, unlike what I had envisioned about being 60 years old, I was actually able to get out of bed. Secondly, I was around some great, loving people. On Sunday, the day before my actual birthday, I was surprised by a visit to our branch by Charles Chan, a former mission companion. He and his wife, Fanny (Tang) Chan were in town visiting from Los Angeles. When we were companions, we were both "Charles Chan" and so it became tricky when people called on the phone to talk to "Elder Chan." When asked which one they wanted, they would say, "Elder Charles Chan." We then had to ask which Elder Charles Chan. Of course, then we had to identify if it was the Gwai Louh or the Chinese one they wanted.

Charles Chan, Fanny Chan, Laraine Chamberlain (Chan) and Charles Chamberlain (Chan). Can you tell which Charles Chan is me? 
After church, the Filipina sisters and Sister Chamberlain made my day very memorable. We played some games and had a great time. I actually shared the celebration with 8 others who have birthdays in March. Sister Chamberlain gave me a huge "stage kiss" for the benefit of the sisters, after which in my embarrassment I grabbed my missionary name badge and held it like a shield against any such future displays of affection.


Sisters in our branch getting ready for a relay game

Carrying an egg on a spoon in our mouths, we proved how coordinated and balanced a 60-year-old can be. 

Sister Sandra Salvatore, with us giving a thumbs up. Sandra is a real strength to the branch 

On Monday, my actual birthday, I arrived at the office to see a shrine in my honor. There was a framed picture of me, a small jar with incense sticks and fruit. It is what the Chinese do to honor their dead ancestors. It totally struck my funny bone, and I kept giggling about it all day long. However, I did not anticipate the reaction of the locals. They were very concerned that in honoring my "death" I was being cursed. Elder Pon, of the Area Presidency, was very disturbed by it and actually moved the incense away, believing that by keeping it there I was in danger. They weren't concerned about it being disrespectful to their customs, but were concerned about what it meant for me. We had a hard time conveying to the local Chinese that it was okay, and that I was going to be okay.

I'm not dead yet!! The little sign by my picture says, "Respect your elders"



No comments:

Post a Comment